I write this as I listen to my daughter scream for about the 10th night in a row after putting her to bed. What used to be a 15 minute process (Teeth brushing & book reading included) has turned into about 45, which I am not willing to deal with. The other night I let her cry for an hour...an HOUR! Torture for me, torture! I thought if I let her cry it out one night the battle would be over and I would win but even after an hour I still had to go up there and snuggle with her to make her fall asleep. She is winning and she knows it.
So anyone have any good suggestions to break this bad, fast growing habit?!
Help!
So anyone have any good suggestions to break this bad, fast growing habit?!
Help!




3 comments:
Oh Lisa. I am sorry. We went through that with Evan, and I have to tell you, there wasnt much we could do that changed the process. I guess the only thing that worked was threating him (I know, not the the greatest parenting skills!!) He SOO attatched to his pipe, so we told him we would take it away if he kept acting up. That straightened him out and he hasnt acted out since, but trust me, I know what you are going through. We tried the cry it out thing too and it didnt work either. Kids are so stuborn! Hope things get better! Unfotunatly I have no advice, just sympathy! :-)
Lisa-
I had issues with Jenna at age 2 and since it was just me to deal with it I dreaded bedtime. First and foremost when you are at your most frustrated point remember that this is just a phase and no teenager ever slept with their parents so it will pass :-). I would suggest a night light or small lamp. If you can't stand to listen to her scream, since it will take a few nights of screaming go the gradual route. Do the same routine every night and maybe include a short back rub or something that calms her down in bed. Then go from sitting next to her crib to slowly each night moving closer to the door until you're out of the door. Or rather than letting her scream for an hour go in after 15 monutes and reassure her by gently but firmly laying her back down, making sure she has her paci, etc but don't talk to her. This to shall pass!
Thanks for the advice and sympathy...both made me feel better. Knowing it's not just YOUR child is comforting :) Wendi - I will be trying some of those 'tricks' for sure. Thanks a bunch.
Post a Comment